Stat

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

New beginnings

We're hardwired to inhale on December 31st and exhale on January 1st.  Welcome in a new year with resolutions and plans for a better us.  Having a whole new year stretch out before us is incredibly hopeful but also...overwhelming.

People put their resolutions out in the world for accountability, I think.  I used to ascribe to a similar way of thinking.  But the year is a blank piece of paper, and we aren't the only ones writing in our notebook.  I've switched to goals now.  I like to stick to about ten.  Jot them down.  Hang them at my desk so I can see them daily.  It's a reminder of what I'm working toward.

But I've something for all of us to remember.  January 1st isn't our only shot.  The first of the month isn't our only shot.  Mondays aren't our only shot.  New beginnings happen ALL THE TIME.  If you start something wonderful for yourself at 6pm on a Wednesday evening in March, then THAT is your new beginning.  Please don't be mired down in what this world has trained us to think is the only time to start fresh.

I have a horrid little cold right now, and I'm sure I'll start the new year with it.  But it won't last forever.  I'll be back to multi-tasking and driving myself crazy sooner than later.  Starting my new beginnings as they come to me and not giving a damn what the calendar says.

Always writing*
...Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment