Stat

Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Stay relevant

When I published my first book, Virtually Yours, in 2005, I only remember feeling so much happiness I literally thought I would explode with it.  Simply turn into a million burning stars and burst because there wasn't any way my skin could hold the emotion.  When I received the less than stellar royalty check, I cried.  Did I cry because of the amount?  Yes.  But I cried more because I wanted to see large numbers and know there were so many people reading my book.  But me, being me, did what I always do.  I dug in.

I published an Erotic Romance, What He Wants, and a Paranormal Romance, The Portrait, in 2006.  What He Wants was the bestselling book for my publisher three years in a row.  The Portrait was nominated for Best Small Press Paranormal Romance in Romantic Times, now defunct.  I also squeezed in a Time Travel Romance, Perfect Timing.

I was at work December 9, 2006, when our house started on fire.  It burned to the ground, and we lost everything.  Some of the kids didn't even walk out with shoes.  I'd started a new job.  Not even four months in.  Not going to go over the details, but we lost more than simply the house.

I'd already signed a contract for my Elemental Guardian series.  I'd written Fire Goddess and Water Goddess.  Confession from my heart.  I don't remember writing Wind Goddess.  Bits and pieces, actually.  It was right after the house fire.  We'd moved into a new place.  I think I was still in shock.  Thank the Muse it turned out well.  Then, of course, Earth Goddess.  I was mostly back in my right mind then.  I remember Eden's story well.  The first two published in 2007 and the other two in 2008.

I also managed to squeeze out another Erotic Romance, Programmed for Pleasure, in 2007.

The publishers contacted me and said they'd like to publish a megabook with my Elemental Guardians.  Thus, my Elemental Guardians Megabook released in 2009.

The last book I published with my ePub was Warrior and the Sparrow in 2011. 

I continued to write but didn't want the middleman, anymore.  I started self-publishing on Amazon.  Not right away.  But I had an idea for a series, based, incredibly loosely, on an old Brothers Grimm tale I'd read forever ago.  I can't even find it now.  But I digress.  It's a five-book series.  I've published three.  Working on the fourth.

I wrote Chimera, which I'm querying now. 

I'm in process with Canary.  It's a three-book series.  First book is finished.  I'm querying.  I'm 50,000 words deep on the second. 

I received my quarterly royalty email this morning from my ePub which was taken over by Start Publishing/Simon & Schuster.  

Here's my point:  I sold copies of Virtually Yours, What He Wants, The Elemental Guardian Megabook, and 23 copies of Programmed for Pleasure.

Stay relevant.  Don't give up.  Keep your name in the conversation.  I sold books I published over 15 years ago.  It can be done.  You can do it.

Always writing*
...and selling those oldies but goodies
 

No comments:

Post a Comment