Stat

Friday, December 2, 2022

Dialogue is the best

I'll say it.  Writing dialogue is my favorite part of writing.  Periodt.  It's also my favorite part of reading.  Snappy dialogue goes a long way in favor of me finishing a book.  Purple prose is a quick wallbanger.  Be clever.  Be innovative.  Make me laugh.  Gasp.  Cover my mouth in astonishment.

I wrote a scene yesterday between Ray and Cody.  She needed to poison him, a little bit, because they had to infiltrate a certain part of a hospital to investigate.  They didn't seem to find what they were looking for, so she slipped him the antidote, and they were about to leave.  Ray is my MC.  Cody is her younger assistant and guinea pig.

****

Ray fished a vial out of her pocket and brought it to Cody’s lips.  “Drink.”  She tipped it up, and he swallowed the dark blue liquid.

“Shit, Ray.  Tastes like toilet cleaner.”

“It’s not an energy drink, but you won’t be throwing up blood.”  She shoved the tube back in her pocket and helped him sit up.  Ray concentrated.  Lacey, erase us.

She helped Cody slide his shoes on and put her arm around his waist.  “We’re going to walk out of here a hell of a lot smoother than we walked in.”  Ray wiped his face off.  He already showed more color.  “Now.  Stand tall.” 

Cody straightened with a small groan.

“For fuck’s sake.  How old are you, man?”  Ray looked up at him.

“I am poison years old, Ray.  That’s how fucking old I am.”  He glared.

“Note to self:  Cranky when poisoned.”  Ray rolled her eyes.

“Please remove me from this place before they decide to stick something up my ass.”  Cody took a couple of steps. 

“Do you think they would?”  Ray stopped in her tracks.

“Ray,” he warned.

“Maybe next time.” 

****

This shows their dynamic and makes me laugh every time.  Dialogue sets the tone for me.  It can change a mood in a swift second.  Setting is obviously important.  Tone.  But when a character opens his/her/their mouth?  I'm all ears.

Always writing*    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment