Stat

Thursday, December 1, 2022

December!

Wow.  This year has been another odd one.  Some months feeling like years while others felt like a week.  No wonder I'm usually discombobulated and wondering what day of the week it is. 

Going to be a busy month.  Christmas party this Saturday with my fellow writers.  I'm incredibly excited.  It's rare for me to go out and whatnot.  I'm well with being attached to the keyboard and chilling out in the evening.  A couple weeks after that, we're going to the Van Gogh exhibit, and I'm beside myself.  To be surrounded by that man's work on every side.  I think I'm going to cry.  Maybe a lot.  Then the holidays with family.

But what I really wanted to cover in this blog is my end sig..."always writing".  Some may think, "Oh, this cow is full of it.  Trying to make herself look or sound good." 😒   

I can assure you, however, that I'm certifiable.  I woke up at 1:14 this morning for a bathroom visit.  Crawled back into bed.  About three minutes later, the phrase "arterial spray" came to me with the scene in the current book I'm writing.  It's the reason the scene won't work.  I need to go in and fix it.  THEN...a small detail from the first book slapped me around.  Noted.  THEN...a cute idea for a series of novellas.  Then I fell back to sleep.  Eventually.

I've written a scene standing up at the island in the kitchen eating chips and dip.  Mind wandering and simply letting my brain...brain.  There have been countless times something has come to me in the car, and I turn the music down and have Siri make a note in my NOTES so that I may access it later.  

I've learned in order to be a better writer that I can't shut it down.  I've never wanted to, but I had to when I was working full-time, and it both hurt and frustrated me.  It was like trying to close a beach house door against an incoming tsunami.  

Now I let it come whenever it wants, however it wants.  I'm grateful for the voices and the insomnia.  Thankful for my characters and their stories.  I derive infinite pleasure from writing.  Some days it's like scratching my eyeball with a fork, but I'd still take it over any other profession.  

That's me.  I'm fairly consumed by it.  But hey!  Light me up.  I like the way it burns.

Always writing*  

No comments:

Post a Comment