Stat

Friday, December 16, 2022

Today I saw my grandmother's eyes

Grandma Bell was my favorite grandparent.  We all have one.  She lived in California.  We'd go visit and see fancy places and cool amusement parks.  But even when we didn't, Grandma had a rumpus room.  It had a poker table, a bar, and its own fridge.  The adults loved to gamble with pennies, talk shit, and drink those mixed drinks.  I loved the Harlequins stuffed together on the far wall.  

I'd grab one, find a seat by a window, and inhale the sweet romance.  This was the late seventies, kids.  And the copyrights on these aged beauties was well before that.  They kissed.  Sometimes.  😳
But these were my gateway drug.  Because once romance bit me, I wanted more.  I blew through grandma's collection and found my way into the Teen Section of the library.  I was not remotely a teenager.  😁  

I've read everything from Grace Livingston Hill to J.R. Ward.  Sweet Christian love to dirty demon love.  I've been a reader since the age of three, but this?  This gave me the cornerstone of what I write.  
I love writing romance.    
No matter what else I venture into, I will always write romance.  I've written Time Travel, Paranormal, Fantasy, Erotic, and Contemporary.  There is so much you can do with love.  I could ramble on forever, but I won't.

What I wanted to say is, today, after having my hair done, I walked out to my car.  I hopped in and flipped down the visor to check my hair up close and personal from the front.  But when I looked?  I saw my grandmother's eyes.  It shocked me.  I sat, in silence, and studied them.  I felt a duality, but I also felt a comfort.  

She's a cornerstone of my writing journey.  Even though she's not around, I still have her with me.  I have the wonderful memories, and now, as I age somewhat gracefully, I can look in the mirror and see my grandmother's eyes. 💖    

Always writing*
...thanks, Grandma Bell...

No comments:

Post a Comment