Stat

Saturday, May 4, 2024

Time capsule

We are time capsules. Historic caches of goods and information. 

I find that fascinating. Each one of us uniquely made to add something or several somethings to future generations. We do not have to have children to give this gift to. We can give to family members, strangers, or friends. 

No one in my family cares about writing books. But it's always my pleasure to stand in front of strangers and share what I know. If I've given them even one new thing to chew on, I'm pleased. There's a man on YouTube who has the channel, Dad, How do I? to show kids how to do things that their parents didn't or couldn't. Absolutely brilliant. Knitters. Carpenters. Mechanics. Poets. Cobblers. People sharing the best of themselves for others. 

Now. To bring it back home. 
I had an incredibly dysfunctional family growing up. So much history lost. There weren't family stories told to me, and I never understood why. Tight-lipped bunch of people.

But I've tried to raise my own to ask questions about things. Seek answers. If they want to know, then be persistent. I can tell you what I know, and I can try to work my way through those left who may be able to help. Because I want my people to be full. To have a good look of where they came from. Who they came from. What they carry with them. Or they can be the damn rebel and not do a whit of what came before. And good on them! But they need to have most of the picture before making a decision, and that's where we come in. 

We are living historical beings. Live loud and fully. While your own family may not follow in your footsteps, your mere being may make the entire difference in someone else's world. And we need that NOW...not just in the future.

Always writing*
...and philosophizing...

No comments:

Post a Comment