Stat

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Broaden your horizons

Stepping outside my comfort zone today.  I belong to Oklahoma Writer's Federation Inc.  There are several offshoot groups.  I belong to the Oklahoma Romance Writers Guild as writing romance is my bread and butter.  But another group posted about having a homicide detective as a speaker at their monthly meeting.  
Anyone who knows me knows that I love knowledge.  I hoard it like a dragon with treasure.  I want to understand what makes everything work like it does.  I want to understand what makes people do the things they do.  I want to understand.  Period.
I've had an incredibly busy week.  Today is no different.  I'm adding chapters on my Vella stories and working on another book.  Setting up my schedule for next week.  Tomorrow is already mapped out.  
But I've rearranged my schedule to lunch at 11:30 with these wonderful writerly people and then listen to this speaker at 1:30.  
I know no one.
Normally, that would be a "hell no" automatically.  But what good is that?  It isn't.
I'm awkward as hell meeting new people.  I talk too much.  I say shit no one understands.  I am WEIRD, people.  WEIRD.  I prefer neuro-spicy.  Either way, it's stressful.  
But guess what?  I'm showing up.  It's too easy to shrug my shoulders and miss this wonderful opportunity.  A little discomfort is a small price to pay for what I'm gaining.

Believe me when I say I understand being uncomfortable in social situations.  But there are so many wonderful things out there where that is the price of admission.  
I'm going to go and be awkward and ask questions and blush at the ripe old age of 50 because people are looking at me.  And God help me, I may be asked to introduce myself.  Does that shit EVER end???
But I'll live.  And I'll have more knowledge to tuck away in the Mind Cabin.
Wish me luck.

Always writing*
...and biting bullets

No comments:

Post a Comment