Stat

Monday, September 18, 2023

Canary: Dark Descent

Giving myself about three more weeks to finish Canary:  Dark Descent. Then off to my editor. Hope to publish a bit after Thanksgiving for holiday sales.

It's dark.

Canary isn't a walk in the park, but we see sides being drawn in Dark Descent. We see characters evolve into harder beings because they have to. We see loss. We see sacrifice. Love. There's always love. Like an undercurrent. But there's a darkness, a pall, that hangs over our characters. They thought one quick strike would finish the war, but the battle has only begun.

This series has given me an opportunity to explore and go deeper with my characters. I love Ray, my mercenary girl. She has her own set of rules and morals. No one else has to like them. But they keep her sane and alive. 

Good isn't always good, and bad isn't always bad. It's not a black and white world. Some would like to believe it is. Easier for them to think less if we were all carbon copies of either angels or devils. No comment on my placement.

Authors give characters attributes they need for the story, and those are not always pretty. We often walk the fine line between anti-hero and asshole. Readers want to punch this character in one scene and hug them in another. That's talent. 

I'm reading Fairy Tale by Stephen King on weekend evenings. What I'm enjoying, more than anything in the narrative right now, is the duality of Charlie Reade, the main character. And Charlie Reade is aware of his duality. Yes, he's done some pretty awesome things lately, but he's also capable of incredibly dark ones. And he doesn't let you forget it.  

Ray and I have miles to go before we rest. We're both committed or should be committed.  😶
See you in the story.

Always writing*


No comments:

Post a Comment