Stat

Friday, November 4, 2022

One hell of a week

Baby Child had her gallbladder surgery October 24th.  Had pain afterwards she said was worse than her C-sections.  Worrisome.  Took her home.  Pain.  Then she got migraines.  She has bad ones.  Then Saturday began throwing up.

All bad.

Went to the ER.  They did CAT scan on her stomach and chest.  Didn't see anything.  She felt a bit better.  Sent her home.  She made an appt with her PCP for October 31st.  She calls me from the doc's office saying she went there and threw up during the appt and would drive herself to the ER.  I'm in the city with the Honey doing her pre-op appt for her knee surgery.  We finish that, and I zip my ass down to the ER to be with BC.  SHE IS MISERABLE.

I think it's around four o'clock when I arrive.  I've been up since five that morning.  They gave her pain and anti-nausea meds.  They decide they need to do a test on her, but no one in the hospital there does it.  So they reach out to St. Anthony's and OU Medical.  OU Medical accepts the transfer.  BC goes from ER to ER by ambulance.  We arrive at OU Medical ER, and BC is put in Acute Trauma.  We are in the hallway from eleven that night until six that morning waiting for a room.  They were incredibly busy, and they accept patients from all over the state.  There were flights coming in and ambulances arriving every half hour, it seemed.

I slept in a chair older than myself.  BC was tested and treated according to what her medical team felt could be the issue.  I took her home yesterday afternoon to her family.  Her three babies missed her terribly.

I don't know if/when I'll catch up on sleep.  But I'd never be anywhere else.  Because the truth?  While we were waiting all those hours in acute trauma?  People coded.  People passed.  Two rooms away a kid kept coding.  Three rooms away on our left, an older man kept crashing, and they were wheeling blood in to keep him alive.  That's reality.  

We're here for a blink.  Like a shooting star.  Remember that.  Shine while you can.  Remind your loved ones they still are.  And your dreams?  You are NEVER too old to pursue them.  

Always writing*

 

No comments:

Post a Comment