Stat

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Write to Market

Write to Market also means Write to Trend.  Crunch numbers.  Look at Data.  Observe what is popular.  Sink your teeth into and write something that fits into those parameters.  I think it's a losing game.
I will go farther and even admit that I would rather do the research than pay one of MANY sites to do this for me.  
I'm talking hundreds of dollars to point you in the right direction.

Problems I have with this:
1.  The market can become saturated nearly overnight with the "trending" genre.
2.  I feeling like continuing to "write to market" leaves you chasing instead of leading.
3.  There are certain genres that will always be popular, and a good book will always find a home.
4.  Some agents ask for such a particular book on their MSWL there is no way you're writing it before interest fades, and the next hot thing comes down the pike.
5.  I want to be the first Crystal Inman--not the next whoever else:  Nora Roberts. MaryJanice Davidson. 
6.  There isn't a next new thing---UNTIL THERE IS.

My Facebook feed is full of ads promising to make my book a bestseller if I pay them to do this, that, and the other.  There are magic words they can use, and voila!  Tricks of the trade.  Blah blah blah.  

I've tried to educate myself on SEO, press kits, keyword searches, etc.  

The best you can do as a writer is write what you are called to write.  Believe in yourself and your words.  Don't chase someone else's dream or their stories.  Build your own so magnificent and beautiful and grand there is no possible way you won't succeed.  No matter what the market trend says.

Always writing*  

No comments:

Post a Comment