Stat

Sunday, August 18, 2024

What do readers like?

"A little bit of everything."

I asked every reader who came to my table yesterday what they liked to read. Nearly every one gave the answer above. I love that because that's what I write.
The problem being...the powers that be tell writers to stick to one thing and make it your "brand" except I don't stick to one thing. I like several things. I read eclectic. I write eclectic. I can't brand myself as a paranormal romance author or contemporary romance author or fantasy author or urban fantasy author because I write them all. 
I LOVE writing them all. And as I tell readers and will tell them repeatedly...the characters dictate the story, I simply write the book.
Right now that's an urban fantasy I'm halfway through and a contemporary romance I've only started. The next is the third book in my fantasy series trio. 

When I came up with my logo and tagline, I knew what I was doing. It's broad, yes. But who knows what I'll come up with in my writing? My first book in 2005 dealt with the world of Virtual Reality FAR before its time. I've toyed with a book about parthenogenesis. Flipping the script on gods and goddesses. And an idea I had last night about an alcohol study I find fascinating. 
I have to write everything down, or I will not remember! That's the important part. 

Inman Books
Infinite Possibilities

Yes.
Always writing* 

No comments:

Post a Comment