Stat

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Monsters folie à deux

We don't believe in torches and pitchforks anymore in the world of writing romance books. We are, after all, in the business of happily-ever-after.

Bring us your werewolves, vampires, sea creatures. We will craft stories where these "monsters" get the girl, boy, girls, or boys of their dreams. 
I grew up watching Bella Lugosi as both Dracula and the Wolfman. A large decisive slant on his true intentions. Also, he was not meant to be the butter on your toast. Or, at least not mine. 

My next true remembrance of a vampire was Chris Sarandon of "Fright Night". Now. HERE was a man I'd think of letting butter anything he'd like. (I haven't had breakfast!) I was also a hormonal teenage girl. And my favorite creature has always been a vampire because they are masters of seduction. You can drain every ounce of blood from my body, but I can feel pleasure from the process?  Left or right side?

There have been many remakes through the years which have made monsters palatable. And a couple...that have broken my heart.

Edward Scissorhands. I ugly cried. A misunderstood soul trapped in a body that betrayed him. I've only watched it once because once was enough to stick.

The Shape of Water. Though I know what happens, I can't bring myself to watch the torture of the amphibious man. The thought sticks in my chest and hurts.

That's the other side of it. It's okay to hurt these "monsters" because they're inhuman, although some are more human than actual humans. 

We want to ostracize or humanize because we don't understand, and we must understand! You don't look like me, but if you act like me, I'll find it easier to accept you. Sound familiar?

Or, when writing, if we stick to the stereotype, it's more palatable.

Wolves have packs. There can be multiple males and one female. Now. Substitute witches or vampires. Hits a bit different, doesn't it? I'm not knocking it, but it's easier to make the wolf scenario more believable.

Back to the monsters. Monster Romance is growing quickly. Part of that growth is for writers to remind themselves woman fall in love with actions. The physical side of characters falls way lower on the attract-o-meter. THIS is a fact suitors, both male/female/ otherworldly beings, need to realize.

Most women focus on what makes an individual. Do these attributes appeal to them? 
The fact this entity only has one eyeball, pointy teeth, scales, or furry feet is incidental.
Love is blind.

Always writing*
...haven't done a monster romance yet...


No comments:

Post a Comment