Stat

Monday, September 12, 2022

Eclectic

I often think of myself as a kaleidoscope.  Shine a light on me, and there's no telling what colors and patterns I'll show you. 

I store factoids like Pac-Man eats those little yellow dots.  I want more.  I NEED more.  Then I'll pop them off like those little plastic bottles where you pull the string and confetti blows out.  I'll surprise us both.  It's endlessly satisfying.  

It has come to the point now where my wife says, "I'm not surprised you know that."  And I laugh.  Because I read or saw or heard it somewhere.

Growing up in the seventies, I read everything I could get my hands on.  We had books about science at the house.  Do I enjoy science?  Some of it.  But I wanted to read.  So I read.  I read the dictionary.  It would give me the synonym for a word, I'd thumb to that page and then read from there.  Parents bought a set of encyclopedias.  You guessed it, my nose buried deep in those, too.

God, I love the Internet.  I had one of these:

Circa 1980.  I was eightish.  Words matched to definitions.  Spelling.  Learning all with words.  I loved this like no other.  🥳

I'll keep going down rabbit holes and learning about white matter, beyond the pale, and how to cook hearts of palm.
Never stop learning.

Always writing*

...and shining 🌞


  

No comments:

Post a Comment