Stat

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

A word? Your word? Any word?

Promises are like vouchers. They are an assurance that something agreed upon will happen. Promises, to me, are iffy. They can often depend on weather, other people, sickness, and timing. Occasionally flexing or breaking a promise may happen. Repeatedly doing so makes you untrustworthy.

Giving your word is solid. If I give someone my word, I'll be moving heaven, earth, and the Milky Way to keep my word. It's a matter of integrity and dependability. It's a sign you can trust me, and if you keep your word, I can trust you. This is a solid foundation for growth and building.

For as long as I've been in the publishing game, I'm a newbie to the conferences and book signing events. I haunt FB, TikTok, Insta, Threads, and RWA to see what suits me best. I also take geography into consideration as I don't want to drive over a day. I have physical limitations that require me to rest more often than others. I network at these events and have LOVED my table mates at all. But I digress.

There was a book event this last weekend. I'm not naming it because this isn't about driving people to this blog using the name. But I will use it as an example. This event was one I considered since it was geographically close enough for me to drive within a day. Wasn't crazy about the weather, but I was jealous of those going. 

By all accounts, it was a shitshow of monumental proportions. It had grown to over five times the size of last year but no accommodations were made for that. Authors, readers, and volunteers did not receive books, time, nor instructions. There were no ADA accommodations. No security. Influencers were treated poorly. Readers did not receive their PRE-ORDERED books from their authors and did not get to meet some of them.

Every story coming out of this event hurts me. The pure excitement attendees felt only to have some of the worst times of their lives...it can't be fixed. No apology is that big. And for the record, no apology has been issued except for a reference to "bumpy bumps". 

I have a book event in late May in Des Moines. I am EXCITED! Am I optimistic? You bet! Am I cautious? You bet! 

I have no idea what it's going to be like, but I give you MY WORD I will be there with books, smiles, swag, and space buns. Come see me!

Always writing* 

No comments:

Post a Comment