Stat

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Characters welcome

I write character-driven stories.  Their voices are what I hear first when a story is forming.  Little pieces of dialogue filter through and root.  I jot them down.  
But when I'm working on a book series, I hear all sorts of voices from the characters.  Not only the piece I'm working on at that moment.  
And characters can be impatient literary souls.
They are innately selfish.  Isn't that understandable?  They're aching for their perspective stories to be told.
But the best characters?
The ones that stick with me and find a home in my head and heart?
The damaged ones.

Oh, you KNOW who I'm referring to.  The Doctor and Sherlock.  Christian Wolff in The Accountant. Hell, literally ANY superhero out there, both male and female.    

But my two favorite characters are The Doctor and Lisbeth Salander.
Don't get me wrong.  I have several characters that I absolutely love.  Jo in Little Women.  R. P. McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  David Haller in Legion.

But The Doctor and Lisbeth?  They touch my soul.  
They are survivors.  They've been through the unthinkable but still rise.  How can you not cheer for those who not only faced the fire but danced in it?

Who do you love?
The comics?  The love interests?  The heroes?  The anti-heroes?
Let me know.

Always writing*

No comments:

Post a Comment