Stat

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Goodbye for now

I don't like small dogs. I have never liked small dogs. My exposure to said dogs always included high-pitched yapping and prissy spoiled behavior. I'm a German Shepard kinda gal. Grew up with one or two my entire life. Then a Doberman. I LOVE big dogs. Ones I can throw around, they bounce back, and come back for more. 

I married into a Chihuahua family. He arrived a mere month before the Honey and I started seeing each other. I could fit this little shit in the palm of my hand. πŸ˜‘ Harley was a long-haired brown Chihuahua. He was the Honey's FIRST EVER pet. 

The Honey and I dated. I lived in another city, and I would come up on most weekends and stay. This dog's feet didn't touch the ground, AND the asshole was manipulative. Apparently, as the Honey said, it's the breed. πŸ˜’ Oh. Delightful. Fuck no, that's not delightful. You're being manipulated by a DOG. He would literally pretend she kicked him, and then he would whimper, and she would pick him up with an "awwwww...did Mama hurt you?"  😢😢😢  What in the actual fuck?

Something had to give besides my gag reflex. I started saying something about Harley's bullshit. I'm like...come on! But he was her "precious puppy." 😡 One day I grabbed her precious puppy and play rolled his short furry ass across the carpet. The Honey almost flat-lined. Harley loved it. πŸ˜‚  Thus, the little shit and I began to get along. I then adopted Simba, my feline son, and gave Harley a brother.

These two idiots. They played. They sparred. They ate each other's food. πŸ™„ They went on vacations with us. They are our kids.

But animals don't have as much time as people, which is bullshit. Simba turned thirteen yesterday. But we spent the morning at the vet with Harley. He couldn't walk anymore. Wouldn't eat. The Honey knew it was time for him to move on. 
Harley was fourteen. Would have been fifteen this summer. She held him as the vet gave him medicine to send him over the Rainbow Bridge. I had no plans to witness this, but they did it in the same room we waited in. I've never had a pet put down.
It was quiet, almost reverent. 
Quick.

That little asshole left our lives the way he came in...on a wave of love. 

Goodbye for now, Harley. It's quieter here. We think Simba is looking for you. The Honey is a mess. 
And me? Getting along like I always do. Writing down my thoughts. Airing out emotions. Working my way through a box of Kleenex. 




















*******

No comments:

Post a Comment